We believe Hertford Choral Society has its origins back in the autumn of 1938 when a small informal group of mixed age singers began weekly rehearsals at the PNEU School in Bengeo.  Thanks to the investment of energies and enthusiasm of the Hertfordshire Rural Music School (now Benslow Music) under the direction of Mary Ibberson, a formal choir ('The Hertford Choral Society') was formed in February 1940.  The rest, as they say, is history!

And so it is.  Our Archivist (June Crew) is presently undertaking the compilation of a written history of HCS due to be finalised later in 2016.  More details will follow once this is ready for publication.