Hertford Choral Society is a friendly and welcoming non-auditioned community choir of over 120 members, normally performing four concerts each season at All Saints’ Church in Hertford. Due to the retirement of the current post holder, we have a vacancy for a new Music Director starting in September 2021.
HCS regularly performs major works from across the choral repertoire, typically with professional soloists and orchestras, alongside lighter programmes for creative and varied summer concerts as well as annual Christmas concerts. Our members range from experienced to novice singers, all sharing the love of singing and aspiring to high standards.
We are seeking a Music Director to work at a professional level who is looking to make the choir their own and provide leadership to continue the development of the choir. Essential requirements of the role include:
- Experience of conducting amateur choirs for a number of years;
- Experience of conducting varied choral repertoire, including major works with orchestra and soloists;
- Excellent knowledge of singing;
- An appreciation of amateur music making and an understanding of how to enable a community choir such as HCS to perform at its best;
- The ability to set and achieve high standards of singing through encouragement and a positive approach;
- The ability to plan varied and interesting concert programmes.
We rehearse with a professional accompanist on Tuesday evenings at Sele School in Hertford (7.30 to 9.45pm), which is walking distance from Hertford North Station. Additional pre-concert and Saturday workshop rehearsals are also scheduled.
You can read more about the choir, see our repertoire and listen to some recordings through our website: www.hertfordchoral.org.uk.