We’re guessing that, if you’re reading this page, you’re looking for some helpful information to help you decide whether joining a choir and/or joining HCS specifically is the right thing for you…so here’s some more information:
Who are we...?
- We’re a large friendly community choir of mixed ages with over 120 singers across the four main voice parts (soprano, alto, tenor and bass)
- Our members come from ALL over Hertfordshire
- We don’t hold auditions and we don’t expect members to be able to read music – we have resources and support in place if you have no musical background
- We are led by professional musicians - Derek Harrison (Musical Director) and Sue Graham Smith (Piano Accompanist)
What do we do…?
- We rehearse each Tuesday evening at Sele School in Hertford and usually stage four concerts each year (November, December, March and June). Concerts are usually held at All Saints’ Church, Hertford…. But not always…
- We sing a wide range of music – Beatles to Bach, folk songs to Fauré, Mozart and modern!
- We work with different local schools and support outreach and charitable activities for the wider benefit of our community
- We don’t just perform concerts; we hold workshops, social events, arrange training, etc.
- Members say that our choir is of great value socially to them… lifelong friends are made and the atmosphere is relaxed and fun
What do we ask of our members…?
- We ask members to put in a regular commitment. This means attending a minimum of 75% of rehearsals in order to sing in a concert, plus looking over/listening to the music in between rehearsals
- We run the choir with the help of members. We know it’s not always possible for everyone to give time over and above that needed for the singing, but we ask that members help whenever they can… whether it’s making cakes, helping distribute concert publicity, organising the church on concert day, serving on the committee etc.